In Mexico, Cinco de Mayo celebrates Mexico’s victory over French forces in 1862.
In the United States, Cinco de Mayo is an excuse to enjoy the great foods and drinks that the Mexican heritage has given us. Any reason to party, is a good enough for us.
Now if you’re partying at home and having friends over, you have to pull out the fresh goods, and make some guacamole. Because good friends, don’t serve store bought guacamole to their friends. That’s just wrong.
To help you out, here’s a great recipe for guacamole and a fantastic margarita. I hope you enjoy them both. Remember it is Thursday, and tomorrow is a work day for most, so enjoy in moderation.
Total time: 10 minutes
Servings: Makes 2 cups
Note: Molcajetes, lava stone mortar and pestles, are widely available at Latino markets and selected cookware stores.
2 heaping tablespoons finely chopped white onion
3 serrano chiles, seeded and finely chopped
4 heaping tablespoons roughly chopped cilantro plus cilantro leaves with little stems for garnish
3/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
3 large avocados or 4 small avocados
4 ounces ripe tomatoes, finely chopped (about 2/3 cup)
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
1. In a molcajete, grind together the onions, chiles, chopped cilantro and salt to a paste.
2. Cut the avocados into halves, remove the pits and spoon the flesh into the molcajete. Mash the avocado into the onion-chile mixture until it is a uniform texture, but not smooth (it should still have some lumps).
3. Stir in the tomatoes and lime juice, adjust the seasoning and top with the cilantro leaves.
Each tablespoon: 36 calories; 0 protein; 2 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams fiber; 3 grams fat; 0 saturated fat; 0 cholesterol; 57 mg. sodium.
Frozen Mango Margarita
- 1.5 oz. Cuervo Especial Gold (25 oz. per bottle)
- 3 oz. Jose Cuervo Lime Margarita Mix
- 1 cup(s) mangos
- 1.5 tablespoon(s) sugar
- .4 oz. crushed ice
- 1 lime wedge
Drink Recipe Preparation:
- Rub rim of a margarita glass with half a lime and dip into sugar.
- Add Cuervo Especial Gold, lime margarita mix, diced and peeled mangos, and crushed ice.
- Mix in blender until smooth.
- Pour into the glass.
- Garnish with lime wedge.